bluespec.com Forum Index bluespec.com
Bluespec Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Error: negated pattern matching in rule's guard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bluespec.com Forum Index -> Designing with BSV's Rules, Interfaces, ...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oarcas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Error: negated pattern matching in rule's guard Reply with quote

Hi,

When I use pattern matching in a rule's guard, it works fine:

Code:
rule r1 ( fifo.first matches tagged TAG_A .v );

I also want rule r2 to not trigger in that particular case:

Code:
rule r2 ( ! ( fifo.first matches tagged TAG_A .v ) );

However, the compiler gives the following error:

Quote:
Error: "path/to/file.bsv", line XXXX, column YY: (P0005)
Unexpected `)'; expected `&&&' or `?'

Which is the position for the inner closing ')'. Am I doing anything wrong or the compiler does not allow to negate a pattern matching? If so, how could I do it? I used the following workaround:

Code:
Wire#(Bool) matchesW <- mkDWire(False);

rule aux ( fifo.first matches tagged TAG_A .v );
  matchesW <= True;
endrule

rule r2 ( !matchesW );
endrule
quark
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Error: negated pattern matching in rule's guard Reply with quote

The "matches" statement is not a Boolean expression, so you can't apply the negation operator to it.

(In fact, this shows up as a parser error and not a type-checking error, because the "matches" statement isn't a basic expression -- you can't use it just anywhere that an expression can go. It's a special kind of statement, that can only be used in certain places. And the predicate clause for a rule doesn't just take basic expressions, it takes pattern statements, separated by the "&&&" operator. It happens that a basic expression counts as a pattern statement, and so most rules have basic expressions as their predicate clause.)

What you probably want to do is write a function, that does the pattern matching and computes a Boolean result based on the match:
Code:
function Bool hasTagA(MyType val);
   if (val matches tagged TAG_A .v)
      return True;
   else
      return False;
endfunction

rule r2 ( ! hasTagA(fifo.first) );

Which you could also write inline, using the conditional operator:
Code:
rule r2 ( fifo.first matches tagged TAG_A .v ? False : True );

Although, if what you want is for rule r2 to execute when rule r1 does not execute, then you can also achieve that using the "preempts" scheduling attribute:
Code:
(* preempts = "r1, r2" *)
rule r2;
oarcas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Error: negated pattern matching in rule's guard Reply with quote

Thank you for your answer, I will try these methods.

Oriol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bluespec.com Forum Index -> Designing with BSV's Rules, Interfaces, ... All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: