bluespec.com Forum Index bluespec.com
Bluespec Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tradeoffs when using Real, Complex, or Math libraries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bluespec.com Forum Index -> Designing with BSV's Rules, Interfaces, ...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheSheriff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: tradeoffs when using Real, Complex, or Math libraries Reply with quote

I would like to model a complex signal mixed with a local oscillator. I am wondering what the tradeoffs are when using the Real, Complex, or Math libraries versus an explicit data flow model? For example, I could use Math.sin and Math.cos to model a numerical oscillator, or I could create a CORDIC model. Do the BSV libraries afford any advantages/disadvantages in this example?

Thank you for your time.
ShepSiegel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our two cents:

You could. We love the BSV Math library and use it daily. However, keep in mind that Real does not derive Bits; so there may very well be operations where you require dynamic runtime hardware (not static elaboration). That said, it works as advertised and is well-supported.

For the lions-share of our fixed-point DSP, we use the FixedPoint and Complex Types extensively. We use importBVI of circuits and components that were authored elsewhere - we trade away BSV flexibility for dumb convenience when we mindlessly "wrap" an FPGA vendor FFT core.

One disadvantage is that we have some clients that only want to express themselves in Simulink block diagrams. We know of no easy, automatic mapping of that expression of concurrency to BSV (and all its strengths), so we sell that manual, time-intensive service when we need to.

Shep Siegel
CTO, Atomic Rules
TheSheriff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much! That was exactly the explanation I was looking for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bluespec.com Forum Index -> Designing with BSV's Rules, Interfaces, ... All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: