bluespec.com Forum Index bluespec.com
Bluespec Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Waveform Viewing of bluesim-generated VCD Dumps
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
baltus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brent,

The problem with mmurphy ended up being that when he built gtkwave the configuration script did not find what was needed in terms tcl/tk , thus it built gtwave without any of the tcl/tk interpreter features enabled.

The easy test is to check when you do gtkwave -help. If the -W option is not listed, thats the issue and you need to rebuild gtwave with proper flags to get it to find your tcl/tk libraries.

Don
rfadeev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I've attached a linux 32-bit version of enum. If you need one for 64-bits let me know.

Don Baltus

Hi, Baltus

Could you attach a linux 64-bit version of enum to view enum types from gtkwave correctly? And another question: is this enum file the only i need to correctly display and unwrap bsv structures in waveform window?

Best regards, Roman
baltus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roman,

1) "enum" is now included in the bsc release (in $BLUESPECDIR/bin/enum). It should work for both 32 and 64 bits.

What version is your bsc release? If its old enough, it won't be there (as our support of gtkwave is relatively recent).

I've attached a current copy of enum (that should work for 32 or 64 bits). Let me know if you have problems.

2) The only other thing you should need is gtkwave (which also needs to be new enough to include the appropriate hooks for BSV support).

If your gtkwave executable knows about the -W flag, its new enough.

There have been a number of recent gtkwave bug fixes related to BSV support however, so if its not much trouble, I'd suggest building a new verison from the "experimental" source tree at

http://gtkwave.sourceforge.net

Let me know if you additional questions/problems.
Don

enum.gz
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  enum.gz
 Filesize:  3.53 KB
 Downloaded:  1256 Time(s)

rfadeev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don, thank you for so fast answer

1) I use Bluespec-2010.05.beta1 and there exists enum in $BLUESPECDIR/bin. Howewer when i run enum file i get
Quote:
Error Bluespec executable not found BLUESPECEXEC $BLUESPECDIR/bin/linux64/enum

2) I've got gtkwave 3.3.10 and it supports -W flag. Let me discribe my problem in detailes. I just wanted to see how gtkwave supports bsc structures. I've compiled, linked and simulated traffic light tutorial, TL0 version exactly speaking. When i loaded top module, started gtkwave from model browser, and loaded dump. Then i tried 'send to wave' state Reg#(TLstates) instance. This caused gtkwave to hang up. In the waveform insight the signal there was the same message "Error Bluespec executable not found BLUESPECEXEC" However nWave does the same thing wihout any trouble.

3) Do you know about Mentor Vsim support in workstation? It's pretty strange that user can check Mentor's waveformviewer but it isn't supported

Thank you so much,

Best regards, Roman
baltus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roman,

1) enum is only needed for gtkwave support (not nWave) ... thus your success with nWave.

2) Did you try putting the enum I sent in your path, and if so did it resolve your problem?

3) Supporting the modelsim waveform viewer in the workstation is in our queue but not there yet,

You can of course use modelsim for vcd/fsdb generation and view the results in the workstation. Some people initially have the impression that you can only view structs etc in the workstation if you simulate with bluesim. Waveforms generated via Verilog simulation work just as well.

Don
rfadeev

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Donald,

1) Putting enum you sent solved the problem, gtkwave doesn’t hang up anymore. Thank you!

In fact, I have one more question.

Suppose we have standart vcd file generated by bluesim or any verilog simulator where all signals are represented as multibit buses (not bsv structs, enums etc). Is it possible to generate another vcd file which contains the same signals but represeted in the way they are represented in the source code (like struct, enum etc)? It will give possibility to view structs in other waveform viewer, not only gtkwave.

2) And another one issue related to waveform viewer.

Is it possible to jump from waveform signals to source code which contains this signal directly? Like I click on signal1 on the waveform and module_to_generate_signal1.bsv is opened.

Best regards, Roman
ShepSiegel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys / We're just chiming in to say we are watching this thread. We use ISim for simulation and gtkwave for viewing. We *may* have an upcoming requirement of using ModelSim's waveform viewer in the same "magic" way (with structs and enums) that Don and team-Bluespec did for gtkwave. This is a vital effort in general, so that VHDL, Verilog, and SV users don't see any downside to BSV implementations. Thanks! -Shep
baltus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WRT Roman's last question:

Quote:
Is it possible to jump from waveform signals to source code which contains this signal directly? Like I click on signal1 on the waveform and module_to_generate_signal1.bsv is opened.

Right now you can only jump to the source code from the module browser tree. Not from the waveform viewer.

I'll compose a more detailed answer to your other question and then send it along.

Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bluespec.com Forum Index -> Tools: Bluesim All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: