bluespec.com Forum Index bluespec.com
Bluespec Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to debug large design?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
test001

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: How to debug large design? Reply with quote

I look all document of BSV, but I do not known good way to trace large design, ex:MC2008/H264Dec
The new workstation can help we to exploration design, but it has some bug when we make project.
In the document, the Novas can be help to look wave-file, but I do not known can it display bsv variable value? and this see like depend with workstation.

I use many $display to debug bsv code now, can anyone tell me better way(or we must trace in verilog mode)?

Thanks!
SteveA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BSV generates verilog, and you debug a bsv design similarly to the way you debug a verilog design. nWave is integrated with the workstation, and once you run a simulation and collect a vcd file for a BSV design, you can use the workstation to explore many variables inside the BSV design. Generally, all registers, modules, interfaces, fifo, etc are directly passed through from BSV to verilog.. So if you have a register xStatus in BSV you will find a verilog register xStatus defined also (see the user manual for more debugging and running bsv design examples).

Since bluespec optimizes logic, some control signals may not be directly available in verilog. Most customers find that rules are simpler to follow logically and intermediate variables are less important once they understand how rules fire.. I find it's also handy to compile veirlog with the -keep-fires flag so the verilog generates WILL_FIRE and CAN_FIRE signals, so you can determine which rules are firing. Once you know a rule has fired, you know it executed exactly the code in the rule. There is also more info on our support wiki (under the "rules of rules")...

test001

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recompile project with -keep-fires,
then I look wave in the verdi,
but bluespec's workstation see like can not display all value of Regfile,
it report do not some signal, ex D$IN
When click "view instance" button, it report can not found tclsh, must I install tcl package?
How I do?
Thanks!
test001

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I change any option in workstation.(Menu Projects -> Options)
it will report some error.
When I test Ch03_Counter.bspec, I do not any change, but it see like miss many signal in vcd, so I can not see many variable.
how to solve?

bug.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  bug.rar
 Filesize:  425 Bytes
 Downloaded:  1425 Time(s)

test001

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can solve one bug now, when I open "Project window" always, I can change options now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bluespec.com Forum Index -> Tools: Other All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: