bluespec.com Forum Index bluespec.com
Bluespec Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bluespec & c-based synthesis

View previous topic :: View next topic  
patil.nikhil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: bluespec & c-based synthesis Reply with quote

Hi,

I am wondering how well code written with bluespec integrates with any of the existing C-synthesis tools. I suppose it all boils down to how easy it is to get an existing C-based tool to emit verilog with bluespec-style RDY/EN based interfaces. I have never used any C synthesis tools, so I am curious to know if anyone has tried mixing them with bluespec code.

Thanks
nikhil
crimsoncardinal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikhil,

We've seen one scenario where the RTL generated from a C synthesis tool can fit nicely into a ready/enable style flow. Of course, BSV can interface with anything.

In our experience, BSV designs for datapath-centric applications take less time and are more efficient than those created with C-synthesis. BSV gives designers much more architectural transparency and control. With the C-synthesis tools, you can get a first pass of RTL pretty quickly, but meeting specifications can be a challenge, or even not possible. If you haven't seen it, I'd suggest taking a look at the July/August 2009 issue of IEEE Design & Test Magazine, specifically Lessons and Experiences with High-Level Synthesis by Soujanna Sarkar, Texas Instruments, Shashank Dabral, Texas Instruments, Praveen K. Tiwari, Interra Systems, and Raj S. Mitra, Texas Instruments. It gives some insights about using C synthesis tools.

Keep your eyes out for a new datapath-centric library we're developing called PAClib. It's a very powerful datapath pipeline constructor library:

* Highly parameterized in architecture
* Separates function/operations from architecture
* Highly productive
* Best of all, it seamlessly fits in with BSV -- same environment, benefits from atomic rules/flow control/...
patil.nikhil

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I was curious if PAClib been released yet? I came across the February whitepaper, and the composition and folding constructs seemed particularly interesting to me.

nikhil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bluespec.com Forum Index -> Tools: Other All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: