bluespec.com Forum Index bluespec.com
Bluespec Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Simulation hanging

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bluespec.com Forum Index -> Tools: BSC (Bluespec Compiler)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ietsanjay

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Simulation hanging Reply with quote

Hi,

I try to initialize a tree structure in a register array. When my tree contains small number of child nodes the simulation is fine as expected, however when My tree is large the compiler does not return any status, even after hours of starting the simulation.

Please let me know a solution for this.

Thanks & Regards,
Ashish.
quark
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Simulation hanging Reply with quote

Can you be more specific about your problem? When using BSC, there is the compile step (using BSC), and then there is a link step (which BSC can do with the -e flag), and then you run the simulation (either in Bluesim or in Verilog). You said that the compiler did not return, but you also said this is in simulation, but those cannot both be happening. Is the issue in the compile step or in the simulation step?
ietsanjay

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Quark,

I am sorry for the ambiguity.
The problem is when I try to run the .bsv file with all necessary compilation options, the compiler gives me status as below. [ This is the case when I am initializing a big tree in a reg array, but when the tree size is small everything is fine and working as expected]

[[email protected] configurable_dfs]$ make
checking package dependencies
compiling SESD_256QAM.bsv

Its taking really long time, and my system hangs.
If you let me know your ID, I can share the program with you.

Thanks & Regards,
Ashish.
quark
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first recommendation is to give BSC the -v flag. This will direct BSC to print out messages as it enters each sub-stage of compilation. That way, we can tell which step is causing the problem. If you have a large loop that is taking time, then it is probably in the "expanded" stage.

If the "expanded" stage (the evaluator) is taking too long, you can then use the -show-elab-progress flag. This will direct BSC to emit messages as it proceeds through the design. As it enters and exits each module, rule, and method, it prints a message. This can help identify which specific rule or module is the source of the problem.

If you can identify the loop that is taking a long time, can you post it here?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bluespec.com Forum Index -> Tools: BSC (Bluespec Compiler) All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: