bluespec.com Forum Index bluespec.com
Bluespec Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The switches I use when I compile

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: The switches I use when I compile Reply with quote

As on aside, I thought I would write down a quick explaination of the switches I use when I compile by default. Very rarely do I need to change, add, or delete these basic switches... The main point is for basic options, plus to put all generated files in a directory (obj) to make clean easy (just rm -fR obj)....

Here's the command line:

Code:
bsc -u -verilog -elab -v95 -no-show-method-conf -cross-info -keep-fires -aggressive-conditions -vdir obj -bdir obj -simdir obj -p /home/sallen/customers/AzureIP/lib:lib:obj:+  file.bsv

a quick explanation:

1. -u if child modules are out of date or not built, then recompile them (built in dependency building)

2. -verilog build verilog (or -sim)

3. -elab this is sort of a new thing.. Build a .ba file (like bluesim does) since this is what bluetcl needs to parse if I want to use bluetcl

4. -v95 generate verilog 95 only, which some simulators and customers want (I use "veriwell" sometimes for instance which is v95 only)...

5. -no-show-method-conf one of my bigger files created so much debug schedule information that it as 95% of the file size!! so I now by default don't print all that out

6. -cross-info create .info files for blueview, and in the future for the bluespec workstation..

7. -keep-fires don't optimize keep_fire and can_fire signals in verilog.. so every rule has a can_fire and will_fire... A bit easier for debugging and logically the same anyway.

8. -aggressive-conditions tells the compiler to put some extra work into making sure the if a branch of a if else condition (for instance) is executed, use only implicit conditions from the path that was valid.. But default *all* implicit conditions are anded together, but if a if-else runs down the "true" case, this switch tells it not to look at the implicit condition for the false case, etc.. I've never found a case where I didn't want this except for one absurdly large file...

9. -vdir output directory for verilog files

10. -simdir output dir for bluesim files

11. -bdir output dir for other bluespec files

12. -p - the search path

Again, this are the defaults I use... bsc -u -verilog file.bsv works

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bluespec.com Forum Index -> Tools: Other All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: