bluespec.com Forum Index bluespec.com
Bluespec Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bluespec tools on Microsoft Windows

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bluespec.com Forum Index -> Tools: BSC (Bluespec Compiler)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geschema

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Bluespec tools on Microsoft Windows Reply with quote

What's the best way to run the Bluespec tools on a Windows 7 machine? Has anyone had any success with Cygwin, or do I need to use a virtual machine running a Linux OS?
SteveA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bluespec tools on Microsoft Windows Reply with quote

geschema wrote:
What's the best way to run the Bluespec tools on a Windows 7 machine? Has anyone had any success with Cygwin, or do I need to use a virtual machine running a Linux OS?

I don't believe we support running on cygwin,as I think there are issues with the license server.. Your best best is to run some flavor of linux on virtualbox.. When I teach training classes, this often a good quick way for one person to setup a local environment for learning, and then create and appliance for others to use on their own machines.... (Since VB runs on all sorts of platforms Smile...

We officially support RE5 and Suse, but I personally run CentOS 6.3 and Linux Mint 14.. We generally run fine on debian based distros (we use Debian Stable internally), but also use ubuntu 10.4+, Linux Mint, CentOS, Scientific Linux.. My personal opinion is that linux mint is the easiest to setup, use, and has the most stable / usable window environment (MATE which is a gnome 2 fork).. Others prefer ubuntu because it probably gets the most attention (though lots of debate about the default window environment entity)...

The most stable for a VM, that is not your daily work window is debian stable - in that all most all EDA tools will work on it... But it's a few years behind having updated email clients (firefox, thunderbird are at 3.0 but backports can get your to 10.0)..

So in summary, I'd say Linux Mint, or Debian Stable... You should be fine with 4GB of memory, and 30GB of disk... If you have a modern computer with multiple cores, some folks say using 2 cores helps, but I haven't really noticed a difference... I ran VB on top of windows 7 until last year when I swapped and now run linux native, and run windows in a VB..

Download/install gtkwave and verilog (icarus verilog) also. along side bsc.. They will come in handy Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bluespec.com Forum Index -> Tools: BSC (Bluespec Compiler) All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: